Pages

Saturday 15 October 2011

Trine, a fantastic game for Linux

I was exposed to this game via the Humble Bundle a while back and have been recently surprised by the level of craftsmanship that went into it.  I'm sure there are a thousand reviews about this game out there already since it's a game that was released in 2009, but I do hope that my mini-review will encourage you to try out this game if you haven't played it yet.

Currently I'm working my way through the game a level at a time.  I fire it up whenever I feel the need to take a short mental break.  So, without any further ado let me introduce you to Trine, here's a short gameplay video:


Trine is an extremely gorgeous game, with a nicely balanced mix of puzzle-solving as well as good old fashioned combat.  The physics used give the game a new dimension which fully rounds out the experience.

The premise is simple, your player has three souls "stuck" to each other through an ancient artifact called the Trine.  A wizard, that can move objects from a distance and conjure items such as boxes and planks from thin air.  The wizard is a non-combat character, his magic is only used for overcoming obstacles.  A thief which can shoot arrows and can swing from her grappling hook.  She is excellent for ranged attacks for all of the baddies that come for you.  Lastly, a knight which is your main combat character.  He wields a sword and shield, useful for protecting against ranged attacks.  Throughout the levels, you find that using one character's abilities makes overcoming an obstacle easier.  I've found that each challenge can usually be handled with any of the three characters.  If you're creative in your approach to each situation, great fun can ensue!  =)




Trine is a beautiful action game at heart, and you can tell that the team over at Frozenbyte put a lot of blood, sweat and tears into its production.  I give this game nothing but praise, it's nice to see an independent game publisher have such success and release such a quality product, especially one that supports Linux gamers!

If you run Windows or on a Mac, you can download the Demo from here: Trine Demo

Even though I went to all of this trouble to hype this game for the Linux gamers out there, the actual game cannot be purchased from Frozenbyte in its Linux form.  Humble bundle may include it again in a future offering, but as I see it now, there is no real legal way for a Linux user to obtain the game.

I did find a rather short discussion regarding this matter over at their forums.

No comments:

Post a Comment