Pages

Saturday 15 October 2011

Why doesn't Canada actually manufacture anything?

Exporting raw materials, to China, Japan and to the USA, it seems that all we do is pump our resources out past our borders, so we can buy them back once manufactured.

Wood, coal, uranium, gold, oil, gas, electricity, water.  That's a list that barely scratches the surface.  When is the last time you proudly declared that a certain product was Canadian?

What do you think?  Does Canada actually manufacture anything?  I for the life of me can't think of a single product that comes from Canada except for the Blackberry, though I'm sure the actual build of those phones is done in China somewhere.  Is it the cost of labour?  Are we simply consumerist and complacent?  Do we not have good ideas in business?  For the most financially stable country during these recessions we certainly do a lot of importing and I don't like it, it's not about jobs.  To me its about pride.

No comments:

Post a Comment